Smoke Alarm Facts And Tips To Keep You Safe
Having smoke alarms is the first line of defense in home fire detection and safety, especially at night or while you are away from the home. But smoke alarms require routine maintenance and replacement. Check out these facts and tips so that you know how important it is to keep your smoke alarms operational. It may just save your home and your life.
- Over the last five years, smoke alarms alerted occupants to over half of all reported home fires.
- 60% of home fire deaths happen in homes with no smoke alarms or smoke alarms that were not operational.
- 25% of smoke alarms failures occurred due to dead batteries
- Smoke alarms should be installed in every sleeping room, and on every level of a home.
- Large homes may need extra smoke alarms.
- Smoke alarms should be tested each month. Just one press of the button can save your life.
- Replace batteries every year, and replace alarms themselves every ten years.
It is important to contact a damage restoration professional as soon as you notice any storm damage. SERVPRO of Norwalk/Wilton has over 30 years of experience working with people who have had damage to their property. If you have any type of damage, call us immediately at 203.324.1642.